Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Epiphany, y'all...

Country Music.

I’ve been listening to this for about a week now and I kind of like it.

I used to think country music was all about people whining about losing their trailer and I’m not entirely wrong, but at least (I think) the songwriters and singers are in on the joke.

This brings us to the Real Country Music lyric of the day: She’s a good bass fisher, a dynamite kisser, as country as a turnip green…

(I heard that last night. I realized that I started this feature because I thought country music was silly, but I've learned the country music guys know that already...it's part of the appeal)

It’s just that when Johnny Cash sang about stealing a Cadillac, one piece at a time over twenty years, he wasn’t serious.

I’m not so sure about Mick Jagger’s lyrics. He probably really does think he can’t get no satisfaction and that I am interested in knowing about it. The rock and roll set seems to take themselves pretty seriously in both composing and performing.

They write vastly different things about the same subject. Tom T. Hall’s “Week in a County Jail” is much more entertaining that “Jailbreak” by AC/DC. Tom got out after seeing the judge and making proper restitution. Not so for Bon Scott and Angus Young.

It’s not that I’m turning my back on the music of my youth, it’s just that I’m looking to laugh and enjoy myself, not “Shout at the Devil.”

It just seems more adult. Sorry. And I don't think this makes me a redneck or a yokel.

I’d write more, but I have to see a man about a coon dog.