Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sometimes they throw cheerios in my hair...

I’m not getting enough sleep and the kids couldn’t care less.

I can stay out late, stay up late or work late, but they don’t care.

They get up early every morning regardless of how I feel about it or what I did the night before. And unlike a job, you can’t call in sick, take the weekend off, or go on vacation. It’s kind of like working all the shifts at the local 7-11 during the “Slurpee for a penny” promotion.

Which brings us to the Real Country Music lyric of the day:
Sometimes I wake up;
And drag my sorry ass out of bed.
Sometimes I don't;
And I just lay there instead.

Clearly, not my story. Well, not the second half of it anyway.

I can’t tell them that there was a great movie on TV last night (or a really bad one…avoid Oceans 13 if you can…maybe the problem was that I missed Oceans 12…) and have them say, “Well, okay, why didn’t you say so? We’ll go back to sleep until around 10. Would that be okay?”

The kids play hard, sleep hard, laugh hard and cry hard. And they aren’t worried about tomorrow. It will be here soon enough (usually around 6:15 or so). They are an inspiration to us all.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have it any other way except I wish Gracie wouldn’t ask what I’m doing when I have my head on the table during breakfast.