Thursday, July 3, 2008

Maybe next time I'll get a truck...

I hate buying cars.

They cost a bunch on money and I never have any idea of what to buy. I usually buy used cars…mostly because I’m cheap and I don’t like that new car smell (mostly cheap though).

Then you have to call the insurance guy and give him his pound of flesh. Then the taxes are due. It just annoys me that I have to own one (or two).

I always plan to buy a truck. For about 15 years I have planned to buy one. But I haven’t yet test driven one. I always change my mind when the time comes.

I have a pretty good plan for buying them. Usually, I go over to the car lot and hope the guy selling cars is honest. Today I had to walk over to the car lot. This is a dead giveaway that I will be buying. This doesn’t help my negotiating power.

The first guy I talked to couldn’t even cough up a price until five hours later. I’m not kidding…he had to fax me around 2 pm for a car I test drove at 8:45 am. He told me how great the car I test drove was.

The second guy I talked to today said he had no idea what kind of mechanical condition the car I was looking at was in. He gave me a price and the keys to test drive it. He said he thought it was in pretty good shape.

We take timeout for the Real Country Music lyric of the day:
Y’all run along and have a little fun.
I'll see you when you get back.I’ll probably be up all night…
Still cleanin' this gun.

The first guy was from New York. The second guy was from right here for the past 60 or so years.

So, although I was leaning toward the brand of the first guy…I bought from the second guy. I guess I figure if it all goes horribly wrong (and the engine falls out or something), the second guy would help me while the first guy would just fax me an apology…